Clean water consumption has become virtually a subconscious act. It’s difficult to find anyone who regularly consumes unfiltered water these days. When it comes to water filters that can directly affect you and your family, shower head filter units are top-of-mind. Some benefits of using a shower head filter include:
- Avoid being soaked with water, drenched by bacteria building up inside of ~60% of every shower head
- Less dry & irritated skin
- Less dull, frizzy hair & irritated scalp
- Minimize the amount of chlorine that enters your body (which can cause fatigue, mental depression, and a lowered autoimmune function).
At the same time, there is an increasing amount of water filters out there to choose from to best meet your needs. If you’ve clicked on this article, you’re probably wondering, “Where do I even start?”
When it comes to choosing the best shower water filter, you need to make sure it removes harmful substances like chlorine, chloramines, and bacteria, at a price that won’t break the bank. Luckily, you’ve got the Water Filter Advisor to help you “filter” out the noise and find a filtered shower head that works for you.
In the rest of this article, we’ll show you the top 6 filter shower heads, with our spin on a review, so you can make the quickest and easiest decision possible.
- Best Shower Head Water Filters (Updated List)
- 6. Sonaki Vitamin C Shower Head Filter
- 5. Brom4ord Shower Filter
- 4. AquaBliss SF220 Inline Shower Filter
- 3. Geekpure High-Flow Universal Handheld 4 Stage Filter
- 2. Aqua Elegante High Output Luxury Shower Filter
- 1. pH REJUVENATE Vitamin C Filter
- How to Choose a Filter Shower Head for Your Needs
- Do Shower Head Filters Really Work?
- Do Shower Head Filters Help with Hard Water?
- Are There Water Filters for Shower Heads?
- Wrap Up
Best Shower Head Water Filters (Updated List)
The best shower water filter removes harmful substances like chlorine, chloramines and bacteria and a price that won’t break the bank. The below reviews are meant to assist you with your search for the best shower head filter. But first, let’s take a quick look at three products that caught our eye due to their excellent specifications.
6. Sonaki Vitamin C Shower Head Filter
|Type of filter:||Vitamin C|
|Materials:||Resin, stainless steel|
|Design:||Fits most standard shower heads|
|Life Expectancy:||Filters last 3-4 months/up to 5,000 liters of water use|
|Performance:||Reduces 99.9% of chlorine and chloramines|
Out of the different types of shower filters out there, Vitamin C filters are arguable the most effective, but they come at a high price. Vitamin C (in the purest form, ascorbic acid) neutralizes toxic substances like chlorine and chloramines, rendering them less harmful.
That is why this system reduces 99.9% of the contaminants in your shower water. Customers reported healthier looking hair and skin and less irritation. Even though this is the most expensive on the list, it’s worth the amount of water you’ll save since it uses 50% less water than the average shower head filter.
Whenever you buy this product, it comes with a hand-held shower, two Vitamin C filters, a 5-ft stainless steel hose, Teflon tape, and a shower holder — all the items you need for installation. Each filter has about 20g of Vitamin C, lasting for about 5,000 liters each. Overall, this is easy to install a system that benefits health, hair, the environment, as well as one’s wallet.
5. Brom4ord Shower Filter
|Type of filter:||Multi-Stage Filter Six stages: KDF 55, activated carbon, calcium sulfite|
|Design:||Universal, installs in minutes|
|Life Expectancy:||6-9 Months until a replacement|
|Performance:||Removes odors, metals, chlorine, bacteria|
|Warranty:||Lifetime money back guarantee|
The Brom4ord Shower Filter has six stages, using a combination of KDF 55, activated carbon, and calcium sulfite. KDF filters apply the same amount of copper and zinc, and when they are put in contact, an electric charge is produced. This electrical charge neutralizes the metals & minerals that pass through the water.
Priced on the cheaper end, this shower head gets kudos for quality, affordability, and convenience. Moreover, it’s easy to install a shower filter capable of removing heavy metals, bacteria, odors, chlorine, and scale minerals. The result is softer water that will reduce dryness and improve the overall condition of hair and skin.
If you don’t want to spend too much money on a shower filter, but still want an effective one, this unit is worth a try. If it doesn’t work out, the company offers a 100%, money-back guarantee.
4. AquaBliss SF220 Inline Shower Filter
|Type of filter:||Multi-Stage Filter (8-Stage)|
|Design:||Universal, easy to install and change|
|Life Expectancy:||6-8 months/10,000 – 12,000 gallons of water use|
|Performance:||Removes chemicals, heavy metals, and sediment|
The AquaBliss SF220 Inline Shower Filter, a multi-stage shower filter with eight stages that remove sediments and impurities and protects the water that exits the filter. Let’s dive into them:
- (Sediment Removal) Sand filter: captures large sediments like limescale or sand
- (Sediment Removal) Ultra-fine stainless steel mesh: captures medium sediments
- (Sediment Removal) Micro-porous PP cotton: captures small residues like dust
- (Impurity Removal) Calcium Sulfite: reduces chlorine
- (Impurity Removal) Redox Media: reduces chlorine and scale, even in hot water
- (Impurity Removal) Activated carbon: removes chlorine, trihalomethanes (THMs), and other impurities
- (Protection)Micro-porous PP cotton: captures filter and small media sediments from the end of the filter
- (Protection) Ultra-fine stainless steel mesh: captures medium sediments from the end of the filter
Because of these stages, you can ensure your water stays clean.
This budget-friendly filter removes heavy metals chromium, lead, mercury, and nickel, reduces chlorine and prevents bacterial growth in the shower. The multiple stage filtration includes uses of activated carbon, KDF 55 and calcium sulfite. Furthermore, customers seeking the best shower head filter praised the product for improving issues like acne, stiffness, thin hair and dryness.
The main difference between this shower head filter and the Brom4ord earlier is that this one uses Redox Media, which helps remove chlorine even in hot water, where the Brom4ord isn’t as effective. If you don’t want to spend too much money on a shower filter, but still want an effective one, and you love taking hot showers, this one is worth a try.
3. Geekpure High-Flow Universal Handheld 4 Stage Filter
|Type of filter:||Multi-Stage | Four stages: Calcium Sulfite, Far Infrared Mineral, Vitamin C, Negative Ion Germanium|
|Design:||Standard size; easy installation|
|Life Expectancy:||Filters last 3 months/ 18,900 liters|
|Performance:||Softens water and reduces chemicals|
|Warranty:||1-year limited warranty|
The GeekPure High-Flow Universal Handheld 4-stage filtered shower head is excellent. Let’s dive into the four stages below:
- Calcium sulfite: reduces chlorine.
- Far Infrared Mineral: improves the water’s dissolving power, clearing power, and penetrability. Works well at eliminating dirt.
- Vitamin C: in the purest form, ascorbic acid, neutralizes toxic substances like chlorine and chloramines, rendering them less harmful.
- Negative Ion Germanium: helps with lung air exchange and metabolism.
Filter out chlorine, remove odor-causing bacteria, and soften hard water with this BPA free shower head! The unit also includes food-grade materials in the filtration system. The filter comes with 8 shower modes for a spa-like experience.
Customers looking for the top shower head filter loved how the Geekpure improved the condition of their hair and skin. Moreover, it has the lowest price in the bunch. If you don’t want to spend much money at all on a shower head with filter, and you enjoy the flexibility of many different pressure settings, this is the one for you.
2. Aqua Elegante High Output Luxury Shower Filter
|Type of filter:||Activated Carbon + KDF 55|
|Design:||Easy installation, universal|
|Life Expectancy:||Filters last 6 months|
|Performance:||Kills bacteria, reduces chlorine, and heavy metals|
|Warranty:||6-month money back guarantee|
The Aqua Elegante shower head filter is by far the highest elegance shower filter on this list. The packaging and design are luxurious, and it’s straightforward to set up. It uses a blend of activated carbon and KDF 55. The activated carbon filter prevents herbicides, pesticides, chlorine, and other impurities. The KDF 55 gets rid of hydrogen sulfide, lead, mercury, arsenic, and other metals.
Aqua Elegante makes the list for one of the best shower head filter attachments since it gets rid of 90 – 95% of the chlorine in water, reduces heavy metals and prevents lime, scale, mold and fungi build-up. Customers reported softer, shinier hair and improved scalp and skin. Also, this shower head filter is available in chrome, brushed nickel, and oil-rubbed bronze finish.
If you would invest in high-quality products that look great, you should try this one out. If it doesn’t work out, there’s a 6-month money-back guarantee. This is also one of the longest-lasting filters on our list.
1. pH REJUVENATE Vitamin C Filter
|Type of filter:||Multi-stage | Mineral Ball Blend + Vitamin C block|
|Design:||Easy to replace and install|
|Life Expectancy:||Vitamin C block 1 month; Mineral ball 4 months|
|Performance:||Removes metals, chemicals, and bacteria|
|Warranty:||100% money back guarantee|
The pH Rejuvenate Vitamin C shower filter is our top-rated product on this post, and it beats the competition in just about every characteristic that matters. This shower filter specializes in removing fluoride, chlorine, chloramine, heavy metals, and bacteria. It does this by using unique blends of minerals with negative ions and vitamin C — this unique blend is entirely different than the rest of the products we’ve listed on this post.
The proprietary recipe includes Tourmaline, Maifan Stone, Negative Ion Balls, and Zeolite to combat all of the harmful materials that keep your skin and hair from being healthy. Unlike other products, pH Rejuvenate also reduces water toxins and bacteria. And don’t forget the Vitamin C, leaving a pleasant citrus scent so you will always feel fresh and clean. Moreover, customers reported that it improved their water quality and is very easy to install.
The brand — Invigorated Water — claims this product improves water pressure by 200%, and it saves up to 35% water, so you can be sure you’re investing in an eco-friendly product. To do that, it has 180 laser-cut holes in the shower filter, which forces water through the even tinier holes on the surface of the shower head. Additionally, their mission is “to help people lead invigorated lives through conscious, dedicated actions.” Through that, they provide the best quality products that don’t only look good but do exactly what they promise.
Did you know that over 600 million people in developing countries don’t have access to clean tap water every day? Well, Invigorated Water is working hard to solve that problem. By partnering with charity: water, a portion of your purchase, and Invigorated Water’s profits go to building sustainable water supplies for the 600 million less fortunate. So, we say to give this product a try, and if it doesn’t work out, there’s a money-back guarantee.
How to Choose a Filter Shower Head for Your Needs
When you look for the best shower head water filter on the market, you need to ask yourself two questions:
- Do I really need such a device in my home?
- What are its main benefits for my lifestyle?
Let us help you answer these questions and make a more informed decision regarding your future purchase.
You need a shower head water filter when you do not already use a whole house water filter and hard water poses serious problems to your comfort and wellbeing.
Hard water leads to limescale deposits on your surfaces, dries your skin, makes your hair look & feel dull and frizzy, and ruins your pipework over time.
Moreover, you should consider a shower head filter if you want better soap lather, smoother skin, softer hair, and an overall feeling of pampering. Such shower heads with filters for hard water are great for people with sensitive skin, children, and even pets.
Do Shower Head Filters Really Work?
Yes, of course, they work, but it depends on you and your needs and what you can realistically afford.
- If you’re looking for a cheap way to clean your water, then shower water filters are great for you, which costs way less than most other home-based filters and water softeners.
- Second, if you live in a small home or apartment and can’t install a home-based filter, you’re stuck with having to get individual filters for the spouts in your home.
- And third, if you have problems with chlorine, lead, water-soluble heavy metals, scale, the terrible smell of sulfur, bacteria, and fluoride, shower water filters will help you.
If you’re having problems with chloramine, arsenic, and copper, you need to find a different product, because shower water filters don’t solve such issues. You should look for more advanced filtration technologies.
Some folks have also asked whether shower filters will add collagen to your hair and skin. Unfortunately, that is false.
Do Shower Head Filters Help with Hard Water?
Have you ever done the laundry and needed to add more detergent because your clothes were drearily dull? What about when the curtains in your bathtub are covered with grime? And finally, do you remember seeing hard marks on your dishes when you pull them out of the dishwasher?
Those are all caused by hard water.
Without water softener systems, hard water can tear down items in your household like sinks, bathtubs, washing machines, kettles, and more.
It can also damage your skin and hair, clog your pipes, and leave soapy residue all over the place.
To combat that, a softener system is essential in today’s age to keep hard water out of your household.
Water softeners and water descalers have the purpose & capacity to solve hard water issues by using a process called ion exchange, which eliminates limescale and improves your life quality.
Ion exchange is one of the best water softening techniques that work by dissolving unwanted ions from hard water and replacing them with ions with a similar charge. This quick and effective filtration system turns the hard water into soft water.
Here are some differences between shower head filters and water softeners:
- A water softener doesn’t exactly work like a shower filter.
- Softeners typically add salt (ion exchange), and your skin can sometimes feel a little slippery afterward.
- In contrast, a shower filter does not use salt.
- Shower filters don’t technically soften shower water the way softeners do, but they do remove chlorine and other chemical contaminants.
- They do also remove some water-soluble minerals, scale, and iron, but not as good as a traditional water softener.
- Water softeners are great at eliminating calcium and iron, which create limescale.
Are There Water Filters for Shower Heads?
Yes, there are definitely just water filters for shower heads, not just heads with built-in filters! If you go back to products #2, #4, and #5, you will see that they are only filters that you can set up with your current head. The ones shown are also below, for your convenience:
- #2: Aqua Elegante High Output Luxury Shower Filter
- #4: Aqua Bliss SF220 Inline Shower Filter
- #5: Brom4ord Shower Filter
Now, you should choose whatever works best for you. If you currently like your shower head, then go ahead and just buy a filter. If you’re getting tired of it, there are some great heads with built-in filters that have different pressure settings that you can experiment with until you find your ideal one. In terms of which is better quality, there is no difference, so it’s all personal preference!
Each product on this list varies to some degree, but they all reduce chlorine and bacteria. In the end, the pH REJUVENATE wins the award for the best shower head filter on the market. It wins due to the power of vitamin C and its proprietary mineral blend containing negative ions that reduce chemicals, heavy metals, and microorganisms.
Have a good idea on a filter for your shower, but how about the water that comes out of the faucets in your sink and tubs?
Let us know which you think is the best shower water filter, and feel free to ask any questions!