Installing the best submersible well pump unit in your private well ensures a consistent and reliable source of water for any household. Not to mention, they are easier to use than traditional pumps. However, when it comes down to choosing the best one for your home, many run into complications.
We found the easiest to work with and most well-designed submersion pumps to help you find what you need. We looked into performance, design, materials, reliability, power, and ease of use and installation, comparing each against hundreds of options available. We also observe consumer reviews to make sure the standards stood up to the hype. Below, we compiled a list to help you narrow down your search and get set up faster.
- Main Advantages of Submersible Water Pumps
- Different Types
- Our Comparisons
- Top 7 Products Reviewed
- 7. Pump! Deep Well Solar Water Pump
- 6. XtremepowerUS Stainless Submersible Deep Bore Well Pump
- 5. Happybuy Submersible Deep Well Pump
- 4. Red Lion RL12G05-2W2V Deep Well Pump
- 3. SCHRAIBERPUMP Deep Well Submersible Pump
- 2. Hallmark Industries MA0414X-7A Deep Well Submersible Pump
- 1. Goulds 18HS10412C Submersible Water Well Pump
- Recommendations to Consider
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Wrap Up
Main Advantages of Submersible Water Pumps
Submersible water pumps are becoming increasingly more popular. They are versatile, affordable, and easy to use. Here are some things to consider before making a purchase:
- Do they work well in both shallow or deep wells?
- Can you install them underwater — deep in the well?
- Make sure they are watertight, needing little to no maintenance.
- Some of the best models have incredibly long lifespans.
- They almost never need repairs.
Look for a submersible well pump that is compatible with your well.
There are 3 main types of wells:
- Dug Well – about 30 feet deep – you’ll need a shallow pump.
- Driven Well – from 30 to about 50 feet deep – you’ll need a deep pump.
- Drilled Well – from 50 to 300 (even more in some cases) feet deep – you’ll need a deep pump.
Top 7 Products Reviewed
7. Pump! Deep Well Solar Water Pump
|Design:||Brushless motor | 48V|
|Horse power:||2/3 HP|
|Performance:||Maintenance-free | Perfect for irrigation, livestock watering | no external batteries or electricity needed|
The Pump! Deep Well Solar manages to impress with a maximum flow of 1700 LPH. You get improved performance, compared to other models, because of its brushless motor, which reduces energy consumption without sacrificing efficiency.
Its intelligent design is further enhanced by its water shortage protection that automatically shuts off the pump if no water is left in the well. This Solar Water Pump is an excellent choice for those living in sunny areas and looking for more eco-friendly solutions.
As for the exterior, the pump is enclosed in a strong wooden case. Furthermore, the strong stainless steel buckle found on the main control unit provides extra support. And, with the help of the LED display, you always know what the status of the pump is or if there are any defects that you should attend to.
6. XtremepowerUS Stainless Submersible Deep Bore Well Pump
|Design:||Built-in check valve | 220V|
|Horse power:||1/2 HP|
|Performance:||Oil and water resistant | minimal sand water allowed | max pressure 50 psi|
Another great contender is the Deep Bore Well Pump from XtremepowerUS.
This high-end model of sump pump features a double-cooling mechanism providing thermal protection. It’s environmentally-protected to extend its lifespan.
The XtremepowerUS Stainless Submersible Deep Bore Well Pump‘s double cooling system acts as a safety parameter, ensuring thermal protection and increased efficiency.
Additionally, it contains a multi-stage thermoplastic top diffuser and impeller fan components, delivering a flow rate of 2000 GPH. Other than its high efficiency, the Deep Bore Well Pump from XtremepowerUS is considered heavy-duty being both oil and water-resistant.
The stainless steel and thermoplastic material ensures protection from the harsh environmental conditions. The 2-wire induction motor capacitor also delivers high torque, pumping the water from wells up to 150 – 200 ft.
This pump also has a removable built-in check valve for your convenience. Its proven “PPO” staging allows close contact action, and it contains a bearing for years of use.
Its bearing is also made of “Hex rubber”, which provides an extremely large surface for stability. This allows multiple flow channels to keep particles away. Furthermore, the stainless steel casting prevents excessive wear.
5. Happybuy Submersible Deep Well Pump
|Design:||5 impellers | hermetically sealed motor | 5ft electric cord|
|Horse power:||1/2 HP|
|Performance:||Efficient motor | 25 GPM max flow | stable performance with 5 impellers|
The Happybuy is highly recommended for its high value at an affordable price.
A versatile product – it can be used in the home and in industrial environments. Its flow rate is more than adequate, and it is an easy pump to manage.
The Happybuy has a 4³ diameter and saves energy during its extraction. It also has a 1/2 HP motor that can operate on 220V, delivering 25 gallons per minute.
Six impellers provide prime performance as it can draw water from wells up to 125 feet. It is made of stainless steel, and the motor is hermetically sealed to prevent overheating. Ultimately, the pump is powerful enough to meet household and industrial needs.
This submersible well pump can also be mounted vertically. Other notable qualities are its small footprint, easy installation and maintenance – there is no need to construct a pump room. Ultimately, this pump works great on wells and water pumps. You can also use it in multiple well designs including steel pipe wells, soil wells, and plastic pipes.
This is the perfect pump for those looking to save money without having to compromise overall quality and performance.
4. Red Lion RL12G05-2W2V Deep Well Pump
|Materials:||Stainless steel shell | thermoplastic motor bracket and discharge|
|Design:||Built-in check valve and suction screen | hex rubber bearing | 2-wire|
|Horse power:||1/2 HP|
|Performance:||1 Â¼” NPT discharge head for a full-flow | extra large surface for shaft stability|
The Red Lion RL12G05-2W2V is one of the most durable on the market. First, it can operate in wels up to 100 feet. It also has several self-protective features, including multiple flow channels, which blocks small particles entering the bearings.
The inner channels offer durability, and it has a built-in suction screen. This blocks dirt from entering the impellers and causing clogs.
Red Lion is made from plastic, which helps against overheating. The double seals allow good pumping action for a submersible well pump reaching an outstanding flow rate of 22GPH. It also has a self-installed control box that runs from 1/2HP to 1HP. Additionally, it is very easy to install.
It can can also be installed horizontally with a positive suction head from a water tank. Its external design makes it compact and corrosion-resistant, offering waterproof connectors.
In short, this pump is best for those looking for something highly durable and versatile. So, whether you have a home, farm, or cabin, the Red Lion pump will probably exceed your needs.
3. SCHRAIBERPUMP Deep Well Submersible Pump
|Materials:||Stainless steel frame|
|Design:||5ft cable | built-in check valve | 2-wire|
|Horse power:||2 HP|
|Performance:||Impeller for high-flow up and high head|
The SCHRAIBERPUMP Deep Well Submersible Pump is a top contender when it comes to easy installation. It has a wire splice kit with copper winding, giving it a considerable advantage.
The motor offers a 95ºF maximum working temperature to prevent overheating. To complement its durability, the pump can work in a variety of spaces including emptying wells, pools, flooded areas, and sprinkler irrigation.
Another great feature that you get with this pump is its impeller design. This allows for high flow and better durability. It can also go down 240 feet at a flow rate of 22 gallons per minute.
This pump is a great option for those looking for something with straightforward installation and versatility at an affordable price.
2. Hallmark Industries MA0414X-7A Deep Well Submersible Pump
|Design:||Built-in control box | sealed ball bearings | built-in check valve|
|Horse power:||1 HP|
|Performance:||2-wire with 3 wires (2 wires in addition to a ground wire) | thermal protection switch|
Hallmark Industries MA0414X-7A Deep Well Submersible Pump is a highly energy efficient
It features a built-in starter box, so no outside control box is required. The Hallmark is also designed with a UL-approved and high-quality motor that guarantees maximum efficiency.
Although it is considered as an industrial-grade pump, you can still use it for household applications. In simple terms, it’s very versatile. It offers a 1HP, high-quality motor that almost matches the effectiveness of 2HP pumps, something rare and valuable.
This pump also lasts much longer comparably. The top of the pump is made of cast iron, supporting the weight of the entire installation. a stainless
Due to its stainless steel casing, you wont have to worry abut corrosion. Its high quality sealed ball bearings guarantee high performance as well as its built-in control box.
It has a check valve at the top of the pump, which is very convenient. Its built-in check valve with a submersible design allows for quieter operations within the pump when extracting water. At maximum capacity, it can reach up to 207 feet in open water tanks.
This is a premium grade pump that supports all the functions and features that you may need. In addition, Hallmark Industries customer service is very helpful if you need assistance with the installation. All of these factors go into making this pump among the best on the market.
1. Goulds 18HS10412C Submersible Water Well Pump
|Design:||CentriPro 4″ motors | shaft couplings | hex design shafts|
|Horse power:||1 HP|
|Performance:||Flow range 6 GPM “ 28 GPM | casings and stage fights off corrosion|
|Warranty:||1-year against manufacture date|
The top of our list as the best pumps is this unit from Goulds water pumps.
The Goulds 18HS10412C is equipped with one horsepower, three-wire motor with a maximum flow rate of 18 gallons per minute.
Its impeller design allows for better handling of sand and potential abrasive materials. Additionally, the Goulds 18HS10412C has a crimped design. This helps it withstand harsh conditions for better use year-round.
The Goulds 18HS10412C is a reliable premium submersible well pump that can be used by anyone.
Goulds also has a thermal-protected motor, which gives the pum a much longer life span. An while this pump doesn’t come with a filtration unit, it is compatible with many countertop water filters on the market.
Recommendations to Consider
Before you go get a new submersible water pump, you will want to make sure its specs and features meet the requirements of your well. Don’t forget about the water flow rate, which is measured in gallons per hour (GPH), HP, voltage, etc.
Since most who use well water probably use a whole house water filter and an RO system for the sinks, make sure the pump and the filter do not clash. It means you need to make some calculations or discuss things with a plumber, as some water filters tend to lower the GPM.
If you also use a hot water recirculating pump with well water, you may need to extend those calculations even further. Of course, if you build a new well, the sizing of the pump and the entire water filtration system going with it is the business of pros.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Does a Submersible Water Pump Work?
A submersible water pump works by pushing water to the surface using pressure energy. This is a resulted from the use of kinetic and rotary energy.
The water first gets pulled in the intake where the rotation of the impeller pushes the water through the diffuser. From there, water gets expelled to the surface. This simple design is what took us from the old technique of lowering a bucket.
How Long Will a Pump Last?
It depends on water usage. In a home with moderate average consumption, a pump can last for 15 years before a replacement is needed. However, in an average household, the standard lifetime of a submersible well pump is about 8 to 10 years.
How Do I know What Size Water Pump I Need?
You can accurately estimate the size of your water pump by measuring the diameter of the fountain spout. Multiply the result by 100. These will be your GPH needs. For example, a 2-inch fountain spot will need a 200 GPH pump for the best results.
How Do You Fix a Submersible Water Pump?
When a submersible well pump stops working, a lot of the time the culprit is the impeller, electrical supply, or float switches.
Here, we offer a short guide with suggestions on how to fix these common issues.
How to Unblock the Impeller
- Switch the pump off, unplug it, and then remove the outlet pipe connection.
- Now, take the pump out of the sump basin and unscrew its base to reach the impeller’s chamber.
- You will need to remove the screws from the chamber, take out the impeller, and wash both the chamber and the impeller with clean water -– preferably under a tap with an installed water filter.
- Afterwards, shake off the excess water from the impeller and chamber then assemble them again.
- Finally, put the assembled chamber and impeller back into the base of the pump and screw them tightly like they were before. You can now put the pump back into the basin and reconnect the outlet pipe.
How to Swap the Float Switches
- Look at the top part of the well pump and unscrew the float chamber.
- Check the manual to see where the existing wires are connected. Make a sketch or take a photo to keep handy so that you can easily reconnect the float switches later.
- Gently pull out the wires and unscrew the switches. Replace the defective switches with new ones, screw them in and reattach the wiring accordingly.
- After the switches are replace,ut the top part back onto the float chamber and screw it back.
- Put the pump back in the basin and reconnect the outlet pipe. Turn it on to see if it works. If not, the electrical supply might be busted, which we will get into fixing shortly.
How to Check the Submersible Well Pump’s Electrical Supply
- Check the main power supply to see if the the power is working first. If it works and you have a backup pump, let that one take over until you finish repairing your main well pump.
- Switch off the pump and remove it from its socket. Unscrew the plug unit and check the fuse. If the fuse is still in position, then change it with another one and screw the unit back in place. If it isn’t, simply reposition it and screw the unit back.
- Switch the pump back on and it should work. If none of the methods mentioned here seem to work, then you might need to contact an expert.
The best submersible well pump design makes pulling water from your well efficient and easy. Making sure that they are user-friendly enough to install on your own may save you time and money as well.
Also, make sure to read the manual carefully before installation so that you install it correctly. Take your time to avoid irreparable damages or void your pump’s warranty. If you’re not confident enough to install the pump on your own, it is better to let an expert do the job so that you won’t have any problems.