Choosing the best water filter for your home is not the easiest choice.Below is a series of tables and guides we hope will help you make the smartest choice!
How to Choose the Best Water Filter: Contaminants in Your Water
Before you get the best water filter to target a specific contaminant, it is important to read all the details. Do not forget to read the manufacturer’s specifications. Here. you will find all information regarding the type of filtration technology, certifications, and users’ reviews.
|CONTAMINANT||WATER FILTER TECHNOLOGY|
|Chlorine and chloramines||Absorption “ ACB and GAC|
|Sediment and particles||Absorption “ ACB and GAC | Reverse Osmosis | UF|
|Lead||Reverse Osmosis | Distillation|
|Bacteria and viruses||Reverse Osmosis | Distillation | UV | UF|
|Radiological elements||Reverse Osmosis | Distillation|
|Pesticides||Absorption “ ACB and GAC | Reverse Osmosis | Distillation|
|Hardness minerals (calcium & magnesium)||Ion-Exchange | TAC|
|Nitrate and nitrites||Reverse Osmosis | Distillation|
|Fluoride||Reverse Osmosis | Distillation | AA|
|VOCs||Absorption “ ACB and GAC | Reverse Osmosis | UF|
|Heavy Metals||Reverse Osmosis | Distillation | UF|
|Arsenic||Reverse Osmosis | Distillation | AA|
|Sulfate||Reverse Osmosis | Distillation | Ion-Exchange|
|Selenium||Reverse Osmosis | Distillation | AA|
When choosing the best unit for your home, you will also need to take into consideration the filters’ setup, the order of installation, and the intensity of filtration.
How to Choose the Best Water Filter: Required Filtration Intensity & Filter Setup
Aside from the different filtration methods, you will also want to consider the technical details. Moreover, you may need to look into how to use and install your unit. This process will vary. Different systems can range from basic setup and filtration intensity to complex, multi-stage structures, and high power.
For this reason, we will continue our presentation on how to choose the best water filter for your home. But this time, we will focus on the following: filters’ sizes, setup, and intensity of filtration.
As mentioned, most filter systems split into two main categories: Point-of-Entry filters and Point-of-Use filters. Current technology allows us to install some filters as either POE or POU.
Here is a more straightforward way to categorize the most popular filters on the market today.
Basic Setup & Small/Medium-Sized Water Filters and Water Treatments
- Carbon-based water filter pitchers;
- AC faucet water filters;
- Carbon-based single-stage countertop water filters;
- AC single-stage under sink water filters;
- Water distillers;
- Fluoride water filters;
- Filtered water bottles;
- UV filters;
- Water descalers;
Advanced Water Filters and Water Treatments
- Multi-stage carbon-based countertop water filters;
- Multi-stages RO under sink water filtration systems;
- Multi-stage AC whole house water filters;
- Multi-stages RO whole house water filters;
- Water softeners;
Complex Setups for Severe Water Contamination Problems
- Add a Sediment filter + Activated Carbon Block (ACB) + Reverse Osmosis (RO) filter
- Start with Sediment filter + ACB filter + RO filter + Granular Activated Carbon (GAC) filter
- Install a Sediment filter + GAC filter + ACB filter + RO filter
- Try a Sediment filter + GAC filter + ACB filter + RO filter + Ultraviolet (UV) filter
Water Filters’ Mounting and Installation
- Wall-Mounted/Floor Mounted Water Filters These filters are usually the POE type. They need a free wall or a large free surface in your house for installation. In this category, you will most likely find whole house filters and water softeners. Some reverse osmosis filters are large enough to need a special place in the kitchen. Some countertop filters can also stay on a wall in the kitchen, but they do not need much space.
- Under-Sink Water Filters It all depends on how much space you have under your sink. Some RO under-sink filters have compact designs. Others are large and bulky. Under-sink water filters, no matter their technology, are the obvious choice due to their low installation requirements.
- On-the-Counter Water Filters This is another great option if you do not have room under the sink. The important thing to remember is to make sure your new filter matches your faucet.
- Fixture-Mounted Water Filters These filters come in different forms and types of units. Common applications include kitchen faucet filter or a showerhead filter. Make sure to read the instructions carefully as mounting may be required.
- Unit-Mounted Water Filters Here, you will find fridge water filters and sometimes water cooler dispensers. Thes units usually come with incorporated water filters.
- Pitchers and Dispensers From water filter pitchers to filtered water bottles or even gravity filters for outdoor enthusiasts, you have a broad range of products that go wherever you go.
Now let’s see some popular setups and installations depending on the contamination and issues you may have in your home!
|WATER PROBLEM||REQUIRED FILTRATION INTENSITY||FILTERS’ INSTALLATION & SETUP ORDER|
|Municipally treated water that is soft and of good quality||Low / Moderate||Sediment filter -> ACB/GAC filter|
|Municipally treated water that is soft and of low quality||High||Sediment filter -> UF filter -> ACB/GAC filter|
|Municipally treated water that is hard and of good quality||Low / Moderate||Sediment filter -> Water Descaler|
|Municipally treated water that is hard and of low quality||High||Sediment filter -> Water softener -> ACB/GAC filter|
|Private well water that is soft and of good quality||Low / Moderate||Sediment filter -> POE UV filter -> POU RO water filter|
|Private well water that is hard and of low quality||Hight||Sediment filter -> UF filter -> POE UV filter -> POU RO filter|
How to Choose the Best Water Filter: Your Home Type and Water Problems
You may live in a small home in the country. Some live in large houses in the suburbs, while others rent city apartments. Your contamination problems can range from mild to severe.
You may also want to remove the bad taste and odor of your water or get rid of limescale once and for all. Find your filtration system in the table below!
|Water Problem||Mild Contamination||Moderate Contamination||Severe Contamination|
|Chlorine and chloramines in small homes in the city||Water filter pitcher||Countertop water filter/Faucet water filter||ACB/GAC Countertop water filter + Distiller|
|Chlorine and chloramines in large homes||Water filter pitcher||Countertop water filter/Faucet water filter||ACB/GAC Whole house water filter + Under-sink RO water filter|
|Bad water taste and smell in small homes||Water filter pitcher||Faucet water filter||ACB/GAC Countertop water filter|
|Bad water taste and smell in large homes||Faucet water filter||Countertop water filter||ACB/GAC whole house water filter|
|Well water||Whole house water filter||Whole house water filter + RO under-sink water filter||ACB/GAC Whole house water filter + RO under-sink water filter + UV filter|
|Sediment and particles in small homes||Sediment filter/Faucet filter||Water filter pitcher/Countertop water filter||Under-sink RO water filter|
|Sediment and particles in large homes||Sediment filter/Faucet filter||Countertop water filter/Under-sink RO water filter||ACB/GAC Whole house water filter + RO under-sink water filter|
|Lead in small homes||Countertop water filter||Water distiller||Under-sink RO water filter|
|Lead in large homes||Countertop water filter/Water distiller||RO under-sink water filter + Water Distiller||ACB/GAC Whole house water filter + RO under-sink water filter + Water Distiller|
|Bacteria and viruses||Water Distiller||RO Under-Sink Water Filter||RO Under-Sink Water Filter + UV filter|
|Radiological elements||Water Distiller||RO Under-Sink Water Filter||RO Under-Sink Water Filter + Water Distiller|
|Pesticides in small homes||Countertop water filter/Water distiller||RO Under-Sink Water Filter||RO Under-Sink Water Filter + Water Distiller|
|Pesticides in large homes||Countertop water filters/Water distiller||RO Under-Sink Water Filter||ACB/GAC Whole house water filter + RO under-sink water filter|
|Hard water in small homes||Electronic water descaler||RV water softener||TAC technology|
|Hard water in large homes||Electronic water descaler||TAC System||Whole house water softener|
|Nitrate and nitrites||Water distiller||RO Under-Sink Water Filter||ACB/GAC water filter + RO under-sink water filter|
|Fluoride||Fluoride Water Filter||Water Distiller||RO under-sink water filter|
|VOCs||Countertop water filter/Water filter pitcher/Faucet water filter||RO under-sink water filter||ACB/GAC water filter + RO under-sink water filter|
|Heavy Metals||Countertop water filter/Water filter pitcher/Water distiller||RO under-sink water filter||RO under-sink water filter + Water distiller|
|Arsenic||Fluoride water filters (AA-based)||Water Distiller||RO under-sink water filter|
|Sulfate||Water Distiller||RO under-sink water filter||RO under-sink water filter + Water Softener|
|Selenium||Fluoride water filters (AA-based)||Water Distiller||RO under-sink water filter|
How to Choose the Best Water Filter: Budget
Budget is always an issue when it comes to choosing necessities for your home. This is no exception when picking the best water filter. There are a variety of different units at different prices. But you will also want to consider the fact that filters at different price ranges generally have different capabilities. Here’s a look:
- Low budget water filters are usually the ones you find in the “basic category. They include faucet filters,water filter pitchers, some countertop filters, and many of the portable water filters.
- Medium budget filtration systems are medium-to-complex devices. They include distillers,fluoride, TAC softeners, water descalers, and some UV water filters.
- High budget systems include multi-stage filtration systems. These usually sport combined filtration technologies. In this category, you will find whole house water filters, reverse osmosis filters, water softeners, and some high-end distillers and water ionizers.
Let’s take a look at a few solutions to your contamination problem. We will also mention products that may best fit your budget!
|Water Problem||Low Budget||Medium Budget||High Budget|
|Bad water odor and taste||ACB/GAC faucet water filter or|
ACB/GAC water filter pitcher
|ACB/GAC countertop water filter||ACB/GAC whole house water filter|
|Chlorine||ACB/GAC faucet water filter or|
ACB/GAC water filter pitcher
|ACB/GAC countertop water filter or Water distiller||ACB/GAC whole house water filter|
|Hard water and limescale||Water descaler||TAC technology||Whole house water softener|
|Bacteria and other waterborne pathogens||Water distiller||UV water filter||RO Under-sink water filter + UV filter|
|Lead||Water distiller||RO Under-sink water filter||ACB/GAC whole house water filter|
|Fluoride||AA fluoride water filter||Water distiller||RO Under-sink water filter|
We hope we offered you enough information to help you make the best choice! If you need specialized setups and installation information to meet the particularities of your home, make sure you discuss it with a professional plumber. Moreover, you can read our guides on the best water filters to get the best products and devices for your requirements!