If you’re like most, and you are relying on your local water supply from the tap, then you should definitely want to consider getting an additional water filter for your home. While most local water providers treat their water supply, there is still no guarantee of it being 100% contaminant free, which is never a risk you want to take.
Luckily, there’s a variety of different filtration units on the market to help accommodate for your needs. However, this can be a tedious search. To help narrow your search, we have provided a buying guide on the Whirlpool Central water filtration system WHELJ1, which works to improve the quality of water coming from your main water pipe.
It cleanses your water from contaminants that taint the taste and odor of your tap water. If that’s a concern for your home, then this article is for you. We will answer every question you might ask about Whirlpool WHELJ1 water filter here below.
|Type:||Whole house filter|
|Easy Installation:||This system comes with a bypass valve that will maintain optimal water pressure throughout your home and is easy to install.|
|1-Year Full Parts and Labor||This system comes with a 3-year on the electronics and 5 years on the tank|
The Whirlpool WHELJ1 aims to deliver on its promise to filter out all the contaminants in your water. And maybe more. Check out the features below and you may be impressed.
Highlights and Benefits
- Ability to get rid of chlorine taste and odor. The Whirlpool WHELJ1 central water filtration system is up for the task. It’s designed for removing chlorine taste and odor from your whole house water pipe.
- Pure, particle-free house water. This unit does more than just get rid of the chlorine taste. This system fishes out sediments. And it takes out grains down to 40 microns small. A strand of human hair measures 75 microns (diameter).
- Optimal whole house water flow. Some water filtration units can greatly affect your whole house water pressure. This system features a high flow valve. This ensures the least drop in pressure to your bathroom shower. And likewise, with your water-using appliances.
- Complete installation kit. The WHELJ1 water filtration comes to you in 1 Do-It-Yourself installer kit. You’ll’ have all the necessities for hooking this up to a 1 NPT pipe for whole house water filtration. And this system includes a bypass valve. Get a Whirlpool WHELJ1 connector and accompanying tubing. So you can link from your water softener to the existing plumbing system. And access a 110V power outlet as well as the house water drain.
Pros and Cons
Users have both positive and negative things to say about the WHELJ1. Let’s list the pros and cons which the buyers observe with the usage of the product.
No, this system is not bulky. See the measurements below to get an idea of how much space you need to set up this water filter system.
- Depth size is 10 1/8 inches
- Width size is 13 7/16 inches
- Height size is 33 3/4 inches
This water filter system has test certifications for NSF/ANSI 42. And it’s specifically for the ability to reduce the presence of chlorine taste. And likewise, it reduces odor in your home water filter system. Results say that Whirlpool water filtration reduced substances. It does so equal to or even less than the allowed limits per NSF/ANSI 42 specifics.
This test on the filtering unit uses set lab parameters. And you should know that this water filtration system may perform differently. Because water conditions are variable.
You may check the chart below for more details.
Having a central water filtration system Whirlpool in your home works wonders. The filtration happens in 2 stages.
1. Normal Operation
During normal functions, all tap water enters the Central filtration system. It then undergoes different filtering steps. Here, the unit removes tastes and odor as well as any sediment that shouldn’t be in your water supply.
You’ll notice some impressive figures in the performance specs above. It says that the unit is capable of removing 95% of 30 to 40 microns of particles. And it can remove 99% of particles measuring 40 to 50 microns.
2. Clean Rinse Cycle
This water FilterSense Technology system also puts your tap water through a clean rinse cycle. This is automated. And you will program this cycle through the controller. In this method, the media bed lifts and expands while the media rejuvenates. Next, the media repacks the bed for continuous usage.
During this time, the water filtration system will discharge all dirt and sediment. These impurities and contaminants will go down the water drain. And this will leave you with pure and clear house water to drink and use for household activities.
Product Install Guidelines
Here are the basics you should know. Read this before you even take the product out of the box and start installing it.
- Check that your inlet water pressure ranges from 30 psi to 125 psi. And use only within this range. Get a pressure-lowering valve if you need to. Be warned though that this may lessen the flow of water as a result.
- If you have a backflow preventer in your home, install an expansion tank. Remember to observe local codes and laws.
- This water filter unit uses a 24V DC power via a plug-in power supply. Use this at all times. And use a 120V and 60/hz household outlet for powering it up.
- Locate your power outlet in a dry location. And ground it properly. Also, protect it with a circuit breaker or fuse.
- Only use this water filter unit with safe and tested water. If you’re unsure of the quality of your water, disinfect it properly before using it with the system.
- If you must dispose of the electrical equipment, follow WEEE requirements. Rules for proper disposal may differ according to region.
Best Install Location
In choosing a placement for your filter unit, there are things to observe. These are:
- Cool degree: Don’t expose it to freezing-causing degrees. This will void the warranty.
- Avoiding hot water line: And don’t install this near a hot water line. The heat may damage the unit and void your warranty.
- Proximity to water supply inlet: Install it in proximity to the main water supply inlet. That is before any other pipe connections. Except of course for the outdoor water pipes. This setup allows you to condition all the water coming into your home.
- Installed with water softener: Also, you may be using a water softener unit. If so, install this central filtration system between the incoming main water supply and that water softener.
- Using well water: You may be using well water. In this case, reverse the position between the central filtration unit and your water softener unit.
- Near floor drain: Also, place it near a floor drain. Because you need it to discharge water during the Clean Rinse cycle.
- Avoiding exposure to sunlight: Lastly, don’t install where there is direct sunlight. Too much sun heat could warp the unit or cause the system to malfunction.
And let’s help you further. Check the diagram below for the right order of installing these filtration systems.
7 Installation Steps
Here is a general manual guide to help you install this filtration unit.
|Step 1||Turn off your whole home’s main water supply.|
|Step 2||Place the Whirlpool central equipment in the designated location. Make sure it is level. Use plywood to even the surface if you need to.|
|Step 3||Remove the WHELJ1 top cover.|
|Step 4||Hang this cover from the post and in front of the rim. And don’t let the cover hang from the wires.|
|Step 5||Complete all whole-home inlet and home main outlet plumbing.|
|Step 6||Install the Whirlpool valve drain hose.|
|Step 7||Lastly, look around and monitor for leaks. If there aren’t any, then your unit is ready for operation.|
It’s hard to avoid having technical problems with appliances and equipment. You’re bound to run into one in the course of using this water filtration unit. So here are 9 ways to help you sort out ordinary problems you might encounter at some point.
Anytime you need to remove an error code from the display, do these:
- First, unplug the power supply from the electrical outlet.
- Second, remedy the problem.
- Third, plug the power supply back on.
- Fourth, wait for about 8 minutes. It should be gone. But if the error code comes back, you better call customer support.
Also, be aware that you may need official help in the following situations:
- When water runs to the drain even while the unit is not in a Clean Rinse mode. This means that the inner valve is defective. It is causing the leak. In this case, the seals and rotor need replacement.
- When filter media is in the household plumbing. In this case, there’s a crack to the distributor or the riser tube. So call support for a replacement.
Identify Replacement Parts
You’ll find that this filter tank has many components. But don’t worry about identifying each part. Here is a breakdown of these parts. Just note the code and mention it when you call customer support.
Main Filter Unit
Filter Valve Assembly
If you’re worried about warranty coverage and support for this product, then don’t be. Ecodyne Water Systems backs this water filter system with the following guarantees:
- 12 months of full warranty from date of purchase. This is specifically for defects in materials, workmanship, and performance of the parts.
- Next, 1 year of warranty from the date of purchase. And this is specifically for free labor in repairing or replacing defective parts.
- And 10 years warranty (from date of purchase) for the fiberglass filtration media tank. The company guarantees performance. And it guarantees that the tank will not rust, leak, burst, or corrode for that period.
- Lastly, 3 years (from date of purchase) for the electronic control board. The company guarantees it to be free of defects in materials and workmanship. And it guarantees performance. But if a part proves to be defective, Ecodyne Water Systems will ship a replacement for free.
- Note that the cost of labor for maintaining this water filter system is only free for the first year.
We have a lot of reasons to like this water filtration system. Topping the list would be 3 useful features. The lifelong filter, the maintenance-free aspect, and FilterSense Technology. You won’t have to replace a filter again with the Whirlpool WHELJ1. And if you’re a busy household that uses a lot of water, this is for you. There are no maintenance tasks.
Just let the FilterSense Technology watch and recondition your filtration system. That’s automated every 2 weeks. (That can be more or less, according to water conditions). You get to enjoy cleaner and good-tasting water straight from every tap in your household.