Last updated - November 26th, 2021
If you’re like most and you rely on your local water supply from the tap, then you should definitely consider getting an additional water filter for your home. While most local water providers treat their supply, there is still no guarantee of it being 100% contaminant free. For drinking water, this is a risk you never want to take.
Luckily, there are a variety of different filtration units on the market to accommodate for your needs. However, it can be tedious to find the right option for you. To help narrow your search, we have provided a buying guide for the Whirlpool Central WHELJ1 water filtration system.
The WHELJ1 system cleanses tap water straight from the main pipeline. It filters out several contaminants that can taint the taste and/or odor of your water. In this article we hope to answer every question that you might have about Whirlpool WHELJ1 water filter. Let’s dive in!
- Main Features
- Pros and Cons
- NSF Standards
- How It Works
- Product Guidelines
- Best Install Location
- Installation Steps
- Identify Replacement Parts
- Warranty Information
- Bottom Line
|Product:||Whirlpool Central WHELJ1|
|Type:||Whole house filter|
|Easy Installation:||This system comes with a bypass valve that will maintain optimal water pressure throughout your home and is easy to install.|
|Warranty:||1-year for full parts and labor, 3-year for electronics, and 5-year for the tank|
Highlights and Benefits
- Chlorine filtration. The Whirlpool WHELJ1 central water filtration system is designed for removing the taste and odor of chlorine from your whole house water pipe.
- Pure, particle-free water. The WHELJ1 can remove sediment particles as small as 40 microns across. (For comparison, a single strand of human hair measures 75 microns across.)
- Optimal whole house water flow. Some water filtration units can greatly affect your water pressure. However, this system features a high flow valve to ensure the water pressure is maintained throughout the entire house.
- Complete installation kit. The WHELJ1 water filtration comes to you with a Do-It-Yourself installation kit. The kit includes all the necessities for hooking up the entire system, including the bypass valve. Whirlpool WHELJ1 connector and accompanying tubing allow you to link the system directly into your existing plumbing, as well as the house water drain. This system requires a 110V power outlet and 1 NPT pipe to connect to.
Pros and Cons
The WHELJ1 is relatively compact. See the measurements below to get an idea of how much space it takes up.
- Depth: 10 1/8 inches
- Width: 13 7/16 inches
- Height: 33 3/4 inches
This water filter system has NSF/ANSI 42 test certifications, specifically for its ability to reduce chlorine content.
Because water conditions may vary, this unit may perform differently depending on your specific setting. However, the chart below gives an idea of WHELJ1’s performance measurements, when tested at lab standards.
How It Works
The WHELJ1’s filtration process happens in 2 stages:
1. Central Filtration
The water starts by passing through the central filtration system. Here, the unit uses several filtration steps to remove contaminants that taint taste and odor, as well as any sediment from the water.
It’s during this step that we get the impressive figures from the performance specs above. During central filtration, the unit removes up to 95% of particles measuring 30 to 40 microns across, and up to 99% of particles measuring 40 to 50 microns!
2. Clean Rinse Cycle
The FilterSense Technology watches and reconditions the filters so you don’t have to! It will trigger automated clean rinse cycles around every 2 weeks, depending on water quality. During the cycle, the filter media bed lifts and expands, allowing the media to rejuvenate and be rinsed. Then, all of the dirt and sediment that has been expunged is washed directly down the water drain. The media is then repacked into the bed to provide continuous clear, pure water, without filter changes.
Before you purchase the Whirlpool WHELJ1, be sure to verify your plumbing system meets all of the following requirements:
- Check that your inlet water pressure ranges from 30 psi to 125 psi. The WHELJ1 can only be used within this range, so you may need to buy a pressure-lowering valve if your pressure is too high.
- If you have a back flow preventer in your home, you’ll need install an expansion tank that’s in line with all your local building codes.
- This unit uses a 24V DC power via a plug-in power supply. You’ll also need a 120V/60hz household outlet for powering it up.
- Be sure that your power outlet in a dry location. It should also be ground properly, and protected with a circuit breaker or fuse.
- Only use this water filter unit with tested water that meets the system’s requirements. If you’re unsure of the quality of your water, have it tested before using this system.
- If you must dispose of electrical equipment, follow WEEE requirements. Rules for proper disposal may differ according to region.
Best Install Location
When choosing placement for the unit, make sure to consider the following:
- Temperature: Both heat, such as from a nearby hot water line, and cold, like below freezing outdoor or basement temperature zones, may cause damage. Placing the unit in a location that is likely to cause temperature-related damage also voids the warranty.
- Proximity to water supply inlet: You will want to install the unit close to the main water supply inlet, before any other pipe connections (not including outdoor pipes). This setup allows all the water coming into your home to be filtered.
- Installed with water softener: If you also use a water softener, install the WHELJ1 in between it and the incoming main water supply.
- Well water: However, if you are using well water, reverse the position between the central filtration unit and your water softener unit. If overly-hard water is softened before passing through the filtration unit, it allows for more efficient filtration.
- Drainage: The system will need to be placed near a floor drain, in order for the Clean Rinse Cycle to discharge waste directly into the drain.
- Sunlight exposure: Lastly, be sure to avoid installing the unit in direct sun exposure. Too much heat and light from the sun could warp the unit or cause it to malfunction.
We’ve also included a handy diagram below, that illustrates the right order of installing a filtration system.
These steps will get you started, but here is the complete manual, if you need more details.
|Step 1||Turn off your home’s main water supply.|
|Step 2||Place the Whirlpool WHELJ1 in the desired location. Make sure it is level. Use plywood to even the surface if you need to.|
|Step 3||Remove the top cover.|
|Step 4||Hang this cover from the post and in front of the rim. Be sure not to let the cover hang from the wires.|
|Step 5||Attach all main inlet and outlet plumbing.|
|Step 6||Install the Whirlpool valve drain hose.|
|Step 7||Turn the water supply back on, and monitor for leaks. If there aren’t any, then your unit is ready for operation.|
You’re bound to run into some sort of technical issue in the course of using any water filtration unit. So, here are 9 ways to sort out problems that you may encounter.
Anytime you need to remove an error code from the display, do this:
- Unplug the power supply from the electrical outlet
- Remedy the indicated problem
- Plug the power supply back in and turn it on
- Wait for about 8 minutes., and the error message should be gone. If the error code still appears, call Whirlpool Central customer support.
Also, you may run into the following problems that require professional support:
- If water is running into the drain even while the unit is not in Clean Rinse mode, then the inner valve is defective and causing a leak. In this case, both the seals and rotor need replacement.
- If you notice filter media in other parts of household plumbing, there may be a crack in either the distributor or the riser tube. You can call customer support to request replacements.
Identify Replacement Parts
You’ll find that this filter has many components. If you need to request replacement parts, here’s a breakdown of the main elements. Just note the part code and mention it when you call customer support.
Main Filter Unit
Filter Valve Assembly
If you’re worried about potential issues with warranty coverage and support, have no fear. Ecodyne Water Systems backs this product with the following guarantees:
- 12 months of full warranty from date of purchase. This includes defects in materials, workmanship, and performance of the parts. As well, this warranty includes free labor to repair or replace any defective parts. (Note that the cost of labor for any warranty claims is only free for the first year.)
- A 3-year warranty for the electronic control board. The company guarantees it to be free of defects in materials and workmanship and guarantees performance. But if a part does prove to be defective, Ecodyne Water Systems will ship a replacement for free.
- And a 10-year warranty for the fiberglass filtration media tank. The company guarantees that the tank will not rust, leak, burst, or corrode for that period.
There are a lot of things we love about this water filtration system. Topping the list are the lifelong filter, maintenance-free performance, and FilterSense Technology. If you have a busy household that uses a lot of water, this system is a great option. You get to enjoy cleaner and good-tasting water straight from every tap, without worrying about filter changes. Let us know what you love about the Whirlpool WHELJ1 filter, or what questions you have about it, in the comments below!