If tap water quality is an issue in your home, then Whirlpool WHELJ1 can help. This is your Whirlpool central water filtration system WHELJ1. And it works to improve the quality of water coming from your main water pipe. It cleanses your water from contaminants that taint the taste and odor of your tap water. If that’s a concern for your home, then this article is for you. We answer every question you might ask about Whirlpool WHELJ1 water filter here below.
- Why Do You Need a Whirlpool Whole House Filtration System?
- What Features Will You Like About the WHELJ1 Whirlpool Whole House Water Filter?
- What Do Product Owners Say About the Whirlpool Filtration System?
- Does the Whirlpool WHELJ1 Take Up Much Space?
- How Can You Tell If You Received an Incomplete Package?
- Can You Be Sure That the Whirlpool Water Filtration System Will Perform to Standards?
- What’s so Great About Having a Whirlpool Central Water Filtration System in Your Home?
- Is This Water Filtering System Effective at All Times?
- What Basic Guidelines Should You Know Before You Install This Product?
- Where Is the Best Place to Install This Filtration System?
- 7 Steps to Install This Filtration System
- What Happens if You Don’t Use it for a Long Time?
- 8 Ways to Troubleshoot Problems with Operating This Water Filtration Unit
- Is it Hard to Identify the Parts for Ordering or Replacement?
- Do You Get a Warranty for Buying This Whirlpool Water Filtration Unit?
- What Can Possibly Void the Product Warranty?
- Bottomline – Why Do We Like the Whirlpool WHELJ1?
Why Do You Need a Whirlpool Whole House Filtration System?
Is this product for you? Here are a few reasons for you to buy the Whirlpool WHELJ1 water filtration system:
- Because you have dirty or contaminated water in the area you live in. If your tap water runs cloudy or colored through the tap, then it’s not pure. It may be contaminated with sediment, rust, and other unhealthy elements. You surely need a water filter to purify your tap water. And Whirlpool water filter whole house WHELJ1 meets that need.
- Because you need a whole house filtration system, not just a faucet-mounted water filter. If you are a medium to large household, then a simple faucet or under sink water filter may not be enough. The ability to access clean drinking water from every faucet in your home is a great convenience. Well, the whole house water filter Whirlpool WHELJ1 ticks that box.
- Also, because you don’t want to keep replacing filter cartridges. People like you may feel it’s a waste to keep having to change filters after 3 months or so. Well, Whirlpool whole house water filters WHELJ1 is the right choice.
- Lastly, because you want to stop buying bottled water. Think of how much money you can save by buying your own water filter instead. Oh right, you’re already thinking about that. Well, the whole house Whirlpool water filter WHELJ1 can save you money. You can fill your own water bottle at home at any time and all the time. And it’s free.
What Features Will You Like About the WHELJ1 Whirlpool Whole House Water Filter?
|Type:||Whole house filter|
|lifetime of the system:||This Central Water Filtration System uses Filter Sense Technology to automatically flush and clean its filter every 14 days|
|Certification:||The WHELJ1 whole home system is NSF certified to reduce water contaminants as small as 40 microns, which includes sediment, chlorine and other contaminants|
|Easy Installation:||This system comes with a bypass valve that will maintain optimal water pressure throughout your home and is easy to install.|
|1-Year Full Parts and Labor||This whole house filter system comes with a 3-year on the electronics and 5 years on the tank|
The Whirlpool WHELJ1 aims to deliver on its promise to filter out all the nasties in your water. And maybe more. Check out the features below and you may be impressed.
Special Features and Benefits
- And you’ll like its ability to get rid of chlorine taste and odor. The Whirlpool WHELJ1 central water filtration system is up for the task. It’s designed for removing chlorine taste and odor from your whole house water pipe.
- Also, You’ll like drinking pure, particle-free house water. The Whirlpool water filtration does more than just get rid of the chlorine taste. This Whirlpool central water filtration system WHELJ1 fishes out sediments. And it takes out grains down to 40 microns small. A strand of human hair measures 75 microns (diameter). So you get the idea of how efficient the Whirlpool WHELJ1 central water filtration is.
- And you’ll like the optimal whole house water flow. Some water filtration units can greatly affect your whole house water pressure. But Whirlpool WHELJ1 equipment doesn’t. This Whirlpool whole house filtration system features a high flow valve. This ensures the least drop in pressure to your bathroom shower. And likewise, with your water-using appliances.
- Also, you’ll like getting a complete installation kit. The WHELJ1 water filtration comes to you in 1 Do-It-Yourself whole house installer kit. You’ll’ have all the necessities for hooking this up to a 1” NPT pipe for whole house water filtration. And this Whirlpool house water filtration includes a bypass valve. Get Whirlpool WHELJ1 connector and accompanying tubing. So you can link from your water softener to the existing plumbing system. And access a 110V power outlet as well as the house water drain.
Maintenance and Warranty
- You’ll like not having to change filters, ever, with Whirlpool WHELJ1. The WHELJ1 Whirlpool whole house water filter automates it for you. It handles the cleaning, flushing, and draining of your internal filter bi-weekly.
- You’ll also like the FilterSense Technology of Whirlpool WHELJ1. The Whirlpool whole house water filter WHELJ1 is maintenance-free. This Whirlpool central water filtration system follows a 14-day interval of self-cleaning. But with FilterSense Technology, it can also clean itself more or less frequently. The frequency will depend on the house water conditions.
- Lastly, You’ll like having peace of mind with WHELJ1’s product guarantee. This water filtration system has 12 months of parts and labor warranty. And it gives 3 years of warranty for the electronics and a whopping 10 years for the tanks.
What Do Product Owners Say About the Whirlpool Filtration System?
Users have both positive and negative things to say about Whirlpool WHELJ1. Let’s list the pros and cons which the buyers observe with the usage of the product.
Does the Whirlpool WHELJ1 Take Up Much Space?
No, this Whirlpool whole house water filtration system is not bulky. See the measurements below to get an idea of how much space you need to set up this water filter system.
- Depth size is 10 1/8 inches
- Width size is 13 7/16 inches
- Height size is 33 3/4 inches
How Can You Tell If You Received an Incomplete Package?
Your filter product should come complete. You should have the water filtration system and all the necessary parts for installing. So you should see the following packed in the box too:
Call support for incomplete packaging. And remember to put those small parts in a bag for safekeeping if you’re delaying the installation.
Can You Be Sure That the Whirlpool Water Filtration System Will Perform to Standards?
This water filter system has test certifications for NSF/ANSI 42. And it’s specifically for the ability to reduce the presence of chlorine taste. And likewise, it reduces odor in your home water filter system. Results say that Whirlpool water filtration reduced substances. It does so equal to or even less than the allowed limits per NSF/ANSI 42 specifics.
This test on the Whirlpool filtering unit uses set lab parameters. And you should know that this water filtration system may perform differently. Because water conditions are variable.
You may check the chart below for more details.
What’s so Great About Having a Whirlpool Central Water Filtration System in Your Home?
Having a central water filtration system Whirlpool in your home works wonders. The filtration happens in 2 stages.
During normal functions, all tap water enters the Central filtration system. It then undergoes different Whirlpool filtering steps. Here, the unit removes tastes and odor as well as any sediment that shouldn’t be in your water supply.
You’ll notice some impressive figures in the performance specs above. It says that the unit is capable of removing 95% of 30 to 40 microns of particles. And it can remove 99% of particles measuring 40 to 50 microns.
Clean Rinse Cycle
This water FilterSense Technology system also puts your tap water through a clean rinse cycle. This is automated. And you will program this cycle through the controller. In this method, the media bed lifts and expands while the media rejuvenates. Next, the media repacks the bed for continuous usage.
During this time, the water filtration system will discharge all dirt and sediment. These impurities and contaminants will go down the water drain. And this will leave you with pure and clear house water to drink and use for household activities.
Is This Water Filtering System Effective at All Times?
This Whirlpool product is not 100% effective. Unfortunately, this type of treatment does not work for all water sources. For one, it cannot solve a house water problem with hydrogen sulfide contamination.
If your water smells or tastes like a rotten egg, then you have that contaminant. In this case, your best help is to call a water treatment expert. Or try calling Customer Support for advice with an alternative product you can buy.
Also, this water FilterSense Technology system cannot remove iron. So don’t use it for water supply contaminated with iron. It also follows that this is not an iron treatment equipment. You need a separate system for that.
Also, this water filtration systems can filter sediment and impurities in your water. But you may need a separate sediment filtering equipment. One that is designed for greatly tainted water. Or, one that is created for a different type of sediment filtration.
What Basic Guidelines Should You Know Before You Install This Product?
Here are the basics you should know. Read this before you even take the product out of the box and start installing it.
- You shouldn’t turn the filter unit upside down. And don’t place it on sharp surfaces.
- Also, be careful not to drop the filter unit.
- Check that your inlet water pressure ranges from 30 psi to 125 psi. And use only within this range. Get a pressure-lowering valve if you need to. Be warned though that this may lessen the flow of water as a result.
- If you have a backflow preventer in your home, install an expansion tank. Remember to observe local codes and laws.
- This water filter unit uses a 24V DC power via a plug-in power supply. Use this at all times. And use a 120V and 60/hz household outlet for powering it up.
- Also, locate your power outlet in a dry location. And ground it properly. Also, protect it with a circuit breaker or fuse.
- Only use this water filter unit with safe and tested water. If you’re unsure of the quality of your water, disinfect it properly before using it with the system.
- Lastly, if you must dispose of the electrical equipment, follow WEEE requirements. Rules for proper disposal may differ according to region.
Where Is the Best Place to Install This Filtration System?
In choosing a placement for your filter unit, there are things to observe. These are:
- Cool degree: Don’t expose it to freezing-causing degrees. This will void the warranty.
- Avoiding hot water line: And don’t install this near a hot water line. The heat may damage the unit and void your warranty.
- Proximity to water supply inlet: Install it in proximity to the main water supply inlet. That is before any other pipe connections. Except of course for the outdoor water pipes. This setup allows you to condition all the water coming into your home.
- Installed with water softener: Also, you may be using a water softener unit. If so, install this central filtration system between the incoming main water supply and that water softener.
- Using well water: You may be using well water. In this case, reverse the position between the central filtration unit and your water softener unit.
- Near floor drain: Also, place it near a floor drain. Because you need it to discharge water during the Clean Rinse cycle.
- Avoiding exposure to sunlight: Lastly, don’t install where there is direct sunlight. Too much sun heat could warp the unit or cause the system to malfunction.
And let’s help you further. Check the diagram below for the right order of installing these filtration systems.
7 Steps to Install This Filtration System
Here is a general manual guide to help you install this filtration unit.
|Step 1||Turn off your whole home’s main water supply.|
|Step 2||Place the Whirlpool central equipment in the designated location. Make sure it is level. Use plywood to even the surface if you need to.|
|Step 3||Remove the WHELJ1 top cover.|
|Step 4||Hang this cover from the post and in front of the rim. And don’t let the cover hang from the wires.|
|Step 5||Complete all whole-home inlet and home main outlet plumbing.|
|Step 6||Install the Whirlpool valve drain hose.|
|Step 7||Lastly, look around and monitor for leaks. If there aren’t any, then your unit is ready for operation.|
What Happens if You Don’t Use it for a Long Time?
You may be thinking of installing these water filtration systems in one of your summer homes. And these places may be vacation spots for you. Now, if you’re worried about it breaking after long periods of non-usage, don’t be. Here are some actions for care that you can take. These will ensure that your filtration system remains in good working condition.
- The water supply going to the unit may remain on. And the automatic Clean Rinse function WHELJ1 may stay enabled. In this case, there’s no cause for worry over WHELJ1 breaking.
- The water supply may be shut off. And the power supply may be unplugged. This time, the Clean Rinse function WHELJ1 is disabled. In this case, you should manually have 2 Clean Rinse cycles as soon as you put the system back in operation.
- There may be a possibility of freezing while you’re away. If so, then disconnect the filtration system. And drain all water.
In doing this, you need to shut-off the valve on your main water pipe. Next, open a faucet to release water pressure. Then close the inlet and outlet valve. After that, open the bypass valve. Next, unplug the power supply from the wall outlet. Lastly, separate the filtration unit and drain all remaining water. If you want to reopen the main water supply, you may do so. Reconnect the unit when you’re ready to use it again.
8 Ways to Troubleshoot Problems with Operating This Water Filtration Unit
It’s hard to avoid having technical problems with appliances and equipment. You’re bound to run into one in the course of using this water filtration unit. So here are 9 ways to help you sort out ordinary problems you might encounter at some point.
Anytime you need to remove an error code from the display, do these:
- First, unplug the power supply from the electrical outlet.
- Second, remedy the problem.
- Third, plug the power supply back on.
- Fourth, wait for about 8 minutes. It should be gone. But if the error code comes back, you better call customer support.
Also, be aware that you may need official help in the following situations:
- When water runs to the drain even while the unit is not in a Clean Rinse mode. This means that the inner valve is defective. It is causing the leak. In this case, the seals and rotor need replacement.
- When filter media is in the household plumbing. In this case, there’s a crack to the distributor or the riser tube. So call support for a replacement.
Is it Hard to Identify the Parts for Ordering or Replacement?
You’ll find that this filter tank has many components. But don’t worry about identifying each part. Here is a breakdown of these parts. Just note the code and mention it when you call customer support.
For the Main Filter Unit
For the Filter Valve Assembly
Do You Get a Warranty for Buying This Whirlpool Water Filtration Unit?
If you’re worried about warranty coverage and support for this product, then don’t be. Ecodyne Water Systems backs this water filter system with the following guarantees:
- 12 months of full warranty from date of purchase. This is specifically for defects in materials, workmanship, and performance of the parts.
- Next, 1 year of warranty from the date of purchase. And this is specifically for free labor in repairing or replacing defective parts.
- And 10 years warranty (from date of purchase) for the fiberglass filtration media tank. The company guarantees performance. And it guarantees that the tank will not rust, leak, burst, or corrode for that period.
- Lastly, 3 years (from date of purchase) for the electronic control board. The company guarantees it to be free of defects in materials and workmanship. And it guarantees performance. But if a part proves to be defective, Ecodyne Water Systems will ship a replacement for free.
- Note that the cost of labor for maintaining this water filter system is only free for the first year.
What Can Possibly Void the Product Warranty?
Certain provisions may limit or void the warranty for this water filter system.
- First, the warranty applies only to a consumer-owned water filter system. So if you use this for business, some freebies may be out the door.
- Second, product use must be within the recommended water pressure. It should not be over 125 psi.
- Third, product use must be within the recommended water temperature. It should not be over 38°C or 100°F.
- Fourth, there should be no misuse, abuse, or alteration in any way.
- Fifth, you should not neglect or let the filter system freeze.
- Sixth, you cannot claim warranty for damages caused by forces of nature. This includes floods, earthquakes, hurricanes, or tornadoes.
- Lastly, the warrantor holds its rights reserved. It will be excused whenever there is a material shortage or government regulation. Because that prevents the company from servicing for the product.
Ecodyne Water Systems obligates itself to replace or repair defective components and parts. But it should be within the declared time. The company exercises due to rights reserved and nonliability for consequential or incidental damages. Only Ecodyne Water Systems extends this official and binding warranty.
You should know that warranty limitations and exclusions may differ with each state. If you have any questions about the product warranty, contact Ecodyne Water Systems. It’s at1890 Woodlane Drive, Woodbury, MN 55125. Or call 1-866-986-3223. You can request for help with the warranty and product part orders. And you may ask about the installation or troubleshooting of the water filter system.
Bottomline – Why Do We Like the Whirlpool WHELJ1?
We have a lot of reasons to like this water filtration system. Topping the list would be 3 useful features. The lifelong filter, the maintenance-free aspect, and FilterSense Technology. You won’t have to replace a filter again with the Whirlpool WHELJ1. And if you’re a busy household that uses a lot of water, this is for you. There are no maintenance tasks.
Just let the FilterSense Technology watch and recondition your filtration system. That’s automated every 2 weeks. (That can be more or less, according to water conditions). You get to enjoy cleaner and good-tasting water straight from every tap in your household.